The cloud has become the backbone of the digital transformation journey. The trend has caused the majority of companies to migrate to the cloud, which offers various benefits including agility and speed, operational efficiency, more adequate security guarantee, higher availability of resources, and of course cost savings.
In fact, specialised information technology research institute, Gartner Inc., predicts that 80% of companies worldwide will undertake a complete migration to the cloud by 2025. Such is the impact of the real benefits of the cloud that can provide great opportunities in modernising IT infrastructure. With a modern IT architecture, organisations will be able to achieve operational efficiency through cloud-native design practices, DevOps, ease of deployment, flexibility, scalability, and cost savings.
However, migration to the cloud is not easy if you do not apply the right processes or anticipate the risks that may arise. In brief, cloud migration is simply the process of moving data, applications, and other business elements from on-premise servers or computers to the cloud — a collection of virtual resources — that offers computing, storage and network services on a large scale. But without specific competencies and expertise, cloud migration can be disastrous.
For example, cloud migration can bring about unexpected results or unpredictable consequences. In some cases, IT teams have not initially been aware that there was an issue. To avoid this problem, IT departments must be aware of cloud migration problems and errors that often occur.
Some of the most common challenges companies can face when migrating to the cloud include:
- Workload migration. Transferring applications, data and servers between cloud providers require detailed planning and processes. Moving workloads from on-premise to the cloud must also be done through a secure connection. The most common challenge in migrating to the cloud is that a company’s solutions and technologies are incapable or ill-equipped of ensuring the business continuity of a company in the event of a transition.
- Downtime. When migrating from one cloud to another, downtime is a big risk. It is very important to ensure data consistency, check connections to the network, and prepare for a possible drop in the performance of internal systems and applications during the transition when migrating.
- Adapting to the new cloud environment. In many cases, companies choose applications created specifically for certain cloud providers. But when migrating to other providers, there may be some problems in adapting these adjustments to the new cloud capabilities. In such situations, the company must anticipate the time needed to reconfigure the application and then utilise it from the new platform.
- Allocation of money, resources and time. Alignment between these three things must be considered in ensuring that migration to cloud computing can take place smoothly, making it possible for companies to have the cloud ecosystems they want. During this stage, companies should consider hiring migration partners who can ensure timely and efficient migration.
As a leading local technology provider in Indonesia, Telkomtelstra’s Professional Services can support businesses in moving on-premise applications to cloud computing in a sustainable manner and as smoothly as possible. Through cloud consulting, as part of its professional services, Telkomtelstra can ensure the success of cloud migration through a proven combination of expert and implementation capabilities. On the other hand, we will help you achieve your goals easily and quickly according to your choice of cloud services.
Telkomtelstra Professional Services offers four main services through its cloud consulting arm, namely:
- Cloud Assessment: evaluate enterprise cloud readiness.
- Cloud Strategy: develop an actionable cloud strategy and roadmap that create the right combination of agility, efficiency, innovation, and security.
- Cloud Migration Design: design and plan the migration of enterprise workload into the new cloud environment, infrastructure and platform, from on-premise platform or private/public cloud.
- Cloud Migration Services: move the workloads using the best migration strategy; from any environment to cloud.
Furthermore, telkomtelstra Professional Services also offers cloud consulting services for migrating and implementing Office365 solutions. (*)