COVID-19 to Increase Role of Virtual Classroom in Indonesian Education

Sat 13 June 2020, telkomtelstra
teams telkomtelstra

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the present situation may push government and education institutes around the world, including Indonesia, to rethink teacher training to move away from emergency remote teaching towards proper online learning. Government officials even suggested the probability that schools in Indonesia might remain closed until the end of this year as the coronavirus pandemic shows little sign of slowing down.

The condition might require a better plan for teachers and school leaders in designing and delivering remote studies for students at all levels. World Bank has stated that the earlier reluctance to adopt technology among some of Indonesia’s educational institutions, teachers and parents has been turned around by the crisis, as many are now reliant on online and distance education. [1]

Data from the Ministry of Education and Culture stated that 97.6 percent of schools in Indonesia had conducted distance learning. The remaining 2.4 percent has not yet done it because the area is not infected with the COVID-19 pandemic or does not have supporting devices. Of the 97.6 percent, 54 percent of schools have done full distance learning, where both the teachers and students conducted the learning activities from their home. [2]

Moving to a virtual classroom

As schools move to a remote learning environment, Teams feature in Telkomtelstra Office 365 solution can provide an online classroom that brings together virtual face-to-face connections, assignments, files, and conversations into a single platform accessible on a mobile device, tablet, PC, or browser.

Once Teams is set up, educators and staff have the ability to create their own class in Teams add selected students, share lessons, create assignments, collaborate virtually in real-time, and do grading and provide personalized feedback all in one hub.

A few quick tips from  our Technology Partners, Microsoft, to help Education Institution get started easily using Teams to create good remote learning environment:

  • Have interactive discussions with your class by sharing your screen to present your lesson and encourage students to ask questions using the chat feature.
  • Lecturer can show a film by sharing your system audio in a meeting.
  • During a lesson, lecturer can moderate the class discussion by muting students, making them presenters, or if needed, removing them from the meeting. Finally, record the lesson so students can review it on their own time.
  • Record a class session in case some students can’t join during the live session.
  • For assessments, Lecturers can easily create and grade quizzes in Teams using Microsoft Forms  
  • Let your students know your office hours and when they can reach you for questions.
  • Encourage students to use Immersive Reader feature in Teams to help them read messages and understand assignment prompts, enabling them to follow along and contribute.
  • Create a Fun Channel. Have a virtual science fair or poetry reading group. This will go a long way with students of all ages.

Contact us to get started in implementing Teams for your Education Institution!